The information on this page pertains to attorneys practicing in the Eastern District of Tennessee. Attorneys who wish to file documents in the Eastern District of Tennessee must first be admitted through permanent regular admission to the Eastern District of Tennessee or granted pro hac vice status in a particular case. If you are pursuing pro hac vice status, you must file a motion to appear pro hac vice contemporaneously with your first pleading. A form motion can be found here. Please note that electronic filing of documents is mandatory in the Eastern District of Tennessee. For more information on filing documents electronically through CM/ECF, visit the Electronic Case Filing Info page.
Attorney Admission - Permanent Admission
Attorneys seeking admission to the Eastern District of Tennessee Bar should complete the following steps:
1. Review the Attorney Admission Application Instructions.
2. Review the Local Rules of the Eastern District of Tennessee.
3. Review the ECF Rules and Procedures of the Eastern District of Tennessee
4. Review the list of optional attendance ceremonies in each Division.
Admission Ceremony Schedule
|Division||Ceremony Date / Time||Deadline for Receipt of Application|
|Knoxville||To be scheduled|
|Chattanooga||To be scheduled|
|Greeneville||To be scheduled|
5. Register for attorney admission through PACER, using an upgraded individual PACER account.. If you previously have been admitted pro hac vice and already have registered to E-file, please call the Attorney Admissions Clerk before proceeding further.
From the PACER homepage, select Manage My Account and log in to your account. Then select the Maintenance tab and click the link that says Attorney Admissions/ E-file Registration. Complete the Attorney Admissions and E-file Registration request.
6. Once you submit your registration request, it will go to the Attorney Admissions Clerk for processing.
7. After the admissions clerk reviews your application, you will receive an email with instructions to pay the admission fee electronically.
8. After paying the attorney admission fee, you must reply to the email to notify the clerk that your fee has been paid. When the “fee paid” email is received, the admissions clerk will forward your application to the Standing Committee on Admissions.
9. Each Committee is comprised of prominent local attorneys who review each application and make a recommendation to the Court on whether the attorney should be admitted or denied.
10. If your application for admission is approved, the Attorney Admissions Clerk will send an email to you with the written oath for you to execute and return.
11. After you execute and return the written oath, the chair of the Standing Committee will move for your admission. Upon the granting of that motion, you will be provided with an admissions certificate,and the clerk will process your E-file registration.
12. All applicants are invited to attend one of three admissions ceremonies held annually in the Greeneville, Knoxville, and Chattanooga divisions. These ceremonies provide applicants with an introduction to the Court and an opportunity to interact with judges, court staff, and other newly-admitted attorneys and members of the federal bar. Attendance is optional. You will be sent an invitation in advance of the ceremony.
Pro Hac Vice Admission
Attorneys seeking pro hac vice admission to the Eastern District of Tennessee should complete the following steps.
1. Review the Local Rules of the Eastern District of Tennessee.
2. File a Motion to Appear Pro Hac Vice in the case. The form motion can be found here. Note: E-filing privileges are not approved until after the motion is granted by the Court. Therefore, unless you have an existing e-filing account with the Eastern District of Tennessee, you must submit your motion in paper form with an original signature and fee for pro hac vice admission.
3. If your motion is granted, then you must register as an E-filer with this Court to obtain e-file privileges through PACER.
From the PACER homepage, select Manage My Account and log in to your account. Then select the Maintenance tab and click the link that says Attorney Admissions/E- file Registration. Complete the link that says Pro Hac Vice.