The information on this page pertains to attorneys practicing in the Eastern District of Tennessee. Attorneys who wish to file documents in the Eastern District of Tennessee must first be admitted through permanent regular admission to the Eastern District of Tennessee or granted pro hac vice status in a particular case. If you are pursuing pro hac vice status, you must file a motion to appear pro hac vice contemporaneously with your first pleading. A form motion can be found here. Please note that electronic filing of documents is mandatory in the Eastern District of Tennessee. For more information on filing documents electronically through CM/ECF, visit the Electronic Case Filing Info page.
Attorney Admission - Permanent Admission
Attorneys seeking admission to the Eastern District of Tennessee Bar should complete the following steps:
1. Review the Attorney Admission Application Instructions.
2. Review the Local Rules of the Eastern District of Tennessee.
4. Review the list of attendance ceremonies and deadlines for the ceremonies in each Division.
Admission Ceremony Schedule
|Division||Ceremony Date / Time||Deadline for Receipt of Application|
|Knoxville||Requirement Temporarily Suspended|
|Chattanooga||Requirement Temporarily Suspended|
|Greeneville||Requirement Temporarily Suspended|
Please note that attendance at an admissions ceremony is required for admission. Due to the extenuating circumstances of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Eastern District of Tennessee finds it is in the best interest of the public and the attorneys applying for admission to temporarily suspend the in-person ceremony as required by Local Rule 83.
5. Register for attorney admission through PACER, using an upgraded individual PACER account.
From the PACER homepage, select Manage My Account and log in to your account. Then select the Maintenance tab and click the link that says Attorney Admissions/ E-file Registration. Complete the Attorney Admissions and E-file Registration request.
6. Once you submit your registration request, it will go to the Attorney Admissions Clerk for processing.
7. After the admissions clerk reviews your application, you will receive an email with instructions to pay the admission fee electronically.
8. After paying the attorney admission fee, you must reply to the email to notify the clerk that your fee has been paid. When the “fee paid” email is received, the admissions clerk will forward your application to the Standing Committee on Admissions.
9. Each Committee is comprised of prominent local attorneys who review each application and make a recommendation to the Court on whether the attorney should be admitted or denied.
10. Applicants who are unable to attend their scheduled ceremony will be deferred to the next ceremony in that division. However, if the applicant wants to attend a ceremony in a different division, he/she must contact the admissions clerk. If an applicant misses multiple ceremonies, he or she may be required to submit another application and another admission fee. Please note in-person ceremonies may be temporarily suspended by the Eastern District of Tennessee during extenuating circumstances such as COVID-19.
11. After the applicants are sworn in and given their admissions certificate, then the admissions clerk will process their e-file registration.
Pro Hac Vice Admission
Attorneys seeking pro hac vice admission to the Eastern District of Tennessee should complete the following steps.
1. Review the Local Rules of the Eastern District of Tennessee.
2. File a Motion to Appear Pro Hac Vice in the case. The form motion can be found here. Note: E-filing privileges are not approved until after the motion is granted by the Court. Therefore, unless you have an existing e-filing account with the Eastern District of Tennessee, you must submit your motion in paper form with an original signature and fee for pro hac vice admission.
3. If your motion is granted, then you must register as an E-filer with this Court to obtain e-file privileges through PACER.
a. From the PACER homepage, select Manage My Account and log in to your account. Then select the Maintenance tab and click the link that says Attorney Admissions/E- file Registration. Complete the link that says Pro Hac Vice.