NextGen CM/ECF 1.6 will be released in 2021. This release introduces updates to PDF functionality.
Please be aware of which PDFs will be accepted or rejected by CM/ECF in NextGen 1.6.
PDFs with the following content will be rejected:
- Does not comply with PDF format standards
- Encrypted or password-protected
- Contains scripts which can launch an external application
- Contains internal attachments
- Contains audio and video content
- Created with Mac OS X using a fillable form in the Safari browser
- Created with Mac OS X using MS Word and selecting the option, “Best for printing”
PDFs with the following content will be accepted:
- Contains editable forms NOTE: These documents may be rejected by court policy.
- Contains hyperlinks to external web sites
- Meets the PDF-A standard
- Contains optical character recognition (OCR) meta-data
- Comprised of scanned documents NOTE: Court policy may stipulate acceptable dots-per-inch (dpi) standards.
- Created with Mac OS X using a fillable form in the Chrome browser
- Created with Mac OS X using MS Word and selecting the option, “Best for Electronic Distribution”
HOW TO FLATTEN A PDF
The simplest way to address most PDF upload rejections is to flatten the PDF and then upload it into CM/ECF. To flatten the PDF with Adobe Acrobat:
- Open your PDF file.
- Print the PDF file to your PDF printer (File>Print>select Adobe PDF or another PDF printer listed in the drop-down list).
- Save the printed PDF and upload into CM/ECF.
NOTE: If using Nuance, it contains a flatten file feature which can be found by selecting Advanced Processing> Flatten File.
- Open the PDF file.
- Go to File > Save as Other > Optimized PDF.
- Click OK to pop up message about the attached file.
- Click on Discard Object on the left bar.
- Click OK and save.