Local Rules Advisory Committee
There is one Local Rules Advisory Committee for the district. Its members include experienced federal practitioners from throughout the district. The Court strives to fill the Committee with a mix of attorneys in civil, criminal, private and government practice. Proposed amendments to the Court's local rules are transmitted by the Clerk of Court to the Committee for review and comment. The Committee also suggests amendments to the rules.
- Mr. Donald J. Aho (Chair)
- Mr. Jerry W. Laughlin
- Mr. Robert P. Murrian
- Mr. Robert S. Peters
- Mr. Gregg Sullivan
- Ms. Karmen Waters
- Mr. Cameron Hill
Attorney Admissions Committees
There are Attorney Admissions Committees in the Chattanooga, Greeneville and Knoxville divisions. The members are chosen by the judges and represent experienced federal practitioners from a variety of practice areas. All applications for admission to practice in the Court are transmitted by the Clerk of Court to the appropriate Committee, which reviews the qualifications of the applicants and reports to the Court. E.D. TN LR. 83.5(a)(3).
CJA Panel Selection Committees
There are CJA Panel Selection Committees in the Chattanooga, Greeneville and Knoxville divisions. Each Committee consists of one district judge, one magistrate judge, one attorney who has served on a CJA Panel for three years or more, an experienced criminal defense attorney who is not on a CJA Panel, the District's Panel Representative to the CJA Panel Attorney's Conference, and the Federal Community Defender. Each Committee meets at least once a year to consider applications for the division's CJA Panel and make recommendations to the Court as to those applicants best qualified to fill any vacancies. The Committees also review the operation and administration of the Panel and recommend to the Court any changes deemed necessary or appropriate by the Committee regarding the appointment process and Panel management.
Court Technology Advisory Committee
There is one Court Technology Advisory Committee for the district. Committee members serve on a rotating basis and are selected by the judges from across the district with the purpose of selecting a variety of backgrounds, including prosecutors, criminal defense, civil plaintiff, civil defendant, government and private practice. The Committee meets quarterly via video conference.
- Mr. Donald J. Aho
- Mr. John C. (Jack) Burgin, Jr.
- Mr. David Disney (Chair)
- Ms. Debra C. Poplin
- Mr. John Medearis
- Ms. Dana Hansen-Chavis
- Mr. Todd Shelton
- Mr. Neil Smith
- Ms. Kelli L. Thompson
- To make recommendations to the District Court on a broad-range of technological matters, including facilitating the use of courtroom technologies to enhance courtroom presentations, and advising on matters related to state-of-the art and emerging technologies such as the web page, wireless technology, cell phone use, and CM/ECF and to take actions in furtherance thereof.
- To recommend to the District Court the purchase of appropriate courtroom technologies.
- To assist the District Court in developing training programs for members of the bar on use of courtroom evidence presentation equipment.
- To educate attorneys about courtroom technology.
- To serve as liaison with the bar associations to promote the use of courtroom technology equipment and to address attorney needs.
- To keep abreast of state-of-the-art and emerging technologies, to evaluate the benefit of same to the Court and practitioners, and to advise the Court about use in Court.